Emoji 2.0

A few months ago I had posted about an emoji board that I had created in my class. This would allow the children to identify their feelings first thing every morning and allow me a chance to check-in. Well it has been a big success! I even had to create a new magnetic version as the first one got ripped up pretty quickly. The children absolutely love it. They remind each other to use it, they check where their friends are and they even check on me, cause I have a name tag also. One day, I put my name over the sad emoji, as I had been away the day before and the report from the supply teacher was not ideal. I had at least 5 children come up to me first thing to find out why I was sad and what they could do to help. This is happening everyday in my room. The children are also moving their name from one emoji to the other if their emotions change (recess causes lots of issues at times). This has been a very useful tool for this group of children and definitely something I will consider with future groups. I am curious to know if anyone else has a similar system in their room and what that looks like. Feel free to share in the comments please.

One thought on “Emoji 2.0

• March 6, 2019 at 12:49 am
    Permalink

Ginette, I love this idea and can totally see how the students would benefit. It’s like finding a positive moment in the day, when you are reminded to think about it, you do. The emojis are making them more aware of their feelings and of the events and people that may impact them.
    I don’t have anything like this in my class, at this point. Definitely a goal for Term 2.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Rebecca

Reply