Transformation of My World

As we conclude another great day of collaboration, I felt it was important to share some of the thoughts, ideas and processes that are happening in my environment. Firstly, I want to share a little about my own personal transformation. Having a deeper understanding of stress behaviour gives me the ability to face situations with a different/better frame of mind. It gives me an opportunity to reframe the behaviour and look at a situation from the student’s lens. I have also become more aware of my own stresses and the tools I use to self-regulate.

In my classroom I have created a chart with emojis depicting a variety of emotions and states of mind. Here the students have an opportunity to place their name above the emoji that best fits their state of mind that day. This gives me an indication of how everyone is doing and I can make sure to check in with those who may not be having a great day.

I have also set up a little area in a quiet corner where students can go and have a minute by themselves. It is slightly covered but I can still see who is there. There is a basket inside with a stress balls, paper, pencils, cars, ponies, play dough. I am in the process of teaching the kids how and when to use this space.

I am hopeful that with some of these new strategies/tools in place I can begin to help some of my students relieve some of their stress while in my care.

3 thoughts on “Transformation of My World

• November 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
    Permalink

I love the emoji sign and the quiet space. They are both great ways to offer some self-regulation support to students!

Reply
  • November 21, 2018 at 11:39 pm
    Permalink

‪The quiet corner pictured here is an awesome example of how we can easily and inexpensively create these micro-environments in a classroom or even at home. Love it! ‬

Reply
  • December 5, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    Permalink

I love the emoji chart. Not only does it offer you a chance to read the emotional states of your students on any particular day, but it also is getting them into the habit of checking in with themselves, to consider how they are feeling, and knowing that how they are feeling is important to you. Very cool!

Reply